Our Product Stewardship Commitment (PSC) is a series of achievable commitments to address our industry's environmental issues. SAVA will assist members, relevant authorities and experts to understand, characterise and address product stewardship issues associated with the life cycle of vinyl products. Members are also requested to inform SAVA about any significant environmental or health safety issues in connection with the manufacture, use or disposal of vinyl products.
The SAVA Product Stewardship Commitment is organised into the following
SAVA members are committed to achieve the following targets in relation to the manufacturing of all vinyl products:
Vinyl Chloride Monomer (VCM)
- Total VCM emission from vinyl production processes less than 250g/mt for S-PVC and E-PVC
- VCM content in final vinyl regular product application less than 5g/mt for S-PVC
- VCM content in final vinyl regular product application less than 10g/mt for E-PVC
- VCM content in final vinyl product for food and medical application less than 1g/mt for S-PVC
- VCM content in final vinyl product for food and medical application less than 1g/mt for E-PVC
Mercury - Mercury-free vinyl production Processes in all local & imported vinyl & compounds
• Chlorinated Paraffin: Complete phase-out of the use of short-chain chlorinated paraffin
in the manufacture of vinyl-based products
• Lead stabilisers and compounds: Lead-free stabilisers & additives to be used in all vinyl products
• Cadmium containing ingredients: Cadmium-free stabilisers & additives to be used in all vinyl products
• Hexavalent chromium containing ingredients: Hexavalent Chromium free additives and pigments to be used in all vinyl products
• Bisphenol A: All vinyl products to be Bisphenol A free
• Low-Molecular Weight Phthalate plasticisers: Restrict the use of DEHP and DOP in high human contact applications, such as toys, medical devices excluding blood bags, footwear, gloves and apparel, shower curtains, flooring, table cloths, domestic flexible hose
• Increase the re-cycling of postconsumer PVC-P to 15000 mt per annum
• Increase the re-cycling of postconsumer PVC-U to 10000 mt per annum
• Address the issue of legacy additives
SAVA and its members are committed to building sustainability awareness across the value chain in order to address our sustainability challenges.
SAVA members who are able to prove that they comply with the association's Product Stewardship Commitment (PSC) are awarded the new Vinyl-dot (Vinyl.) logo, which they are encouraged to display on their products, website and other marketing material. We are hoping to establish the Vinyl-dot brand as a sign of excellence that gives end-users of locally manufactured PVC products immediate peace of mind and consumer confidence. When they see this logo, they will know that the product meets international safety and quality standards and that it complies with the industry's Product Stewardship Commitment that specifies sustainable manufacturing, the sustainable and responsible use of additives, closed loop management and a sustainability awareness. The process of proving compliance will have to be repeated each year and the logo will be updated annually. This year, 21 of SAVA's members were awarded certificates and the rights to display the Vinyl. 2020 logo on their products at this year's AGM.
Vinyls Clingfilm Compliance Framework
Clingfilm is one of the vinyl products that is frequently criticised with health concerns over migration levels, use of harmful substances etc. In an effort to address these issues, SAVA has launched a Vinyl Clingfilm Compliance Framework (VCCF) which applies to raw material suppliers, intermediate compounders, converters or film manufacturers and distributors and importers to wholesale and retail market.
SAVA's Clingfilm Compliance framework creates a detailed guidance document whereby industry members:
Meeting these standards will be supported by SAVA's Vinyl-dot brand as a sign of excellence that gives end-users of locally manufactured vinyl products immediate peace of mind and consumer confidence.
Download the Vinyl Clingfilm Compliance Framework document.